1. Tell us a bit about yourself My name is Melissa K Bucci and I am a Career Coach specializing in career transitions, career progression, and employment searches. After spending 17 years in a successful retail management career, I made my own career transition and became a recruiter for a leading professional staffing firm. As a former hiring manager and current recruiter, I have interviewed thousands of candidates for various levels of positions. I believe I have a keen eye for what employers are looking for and how to navigate the current market. During my career in retail my passion was for coaching and developing people. I became an award winning coach and trainer and was nationally recognized in 2015 for my deep talent legacy in the Mid-Atlantic Region. As a regional trainer, I trained countless brand new store teams and underperforming managers to become successful in their roles. When I’m not helping people chase their dream career, I can usually be found curled up in my cozy cottage with a glass of wine, my furkid Coco, and a personal development book. My favorite role in life is being Aunt Melissa to my 2 nieces.
2. What was your first job and how did you get it? My first career position was a manager in training for Ann Taylor Loft. At the time I was working with a staffing firm to help secure my first “real” job. After working with me for quite some time, they actually offered me a position as a recruiter with them. I had found the role at Loft on my own through a job board and got the offer almost simultaneously. As a business major with a fierce entrepreneurial streak, I decided that helping to run a business was the way to go. I can remember the woman at the staffing firm asking if I really wanted to work nights, weekends, and holidays for the rest of my life. 17 years later I got to walk down the road not taken!
3. How did you decide and get to your career today? For years I had tried to get “out of retail” and often felt stuck in a career I had grown to hate but paid me really well. In the fall of 2018, I had finally had enough and literally could not take one more day, let alone another holiday season. As much as I loved coaching my teams, it had become such a small part of the ever changing industry. I had spent all of 2018 hyper focused on personal development and my mindset was finally where it needed to be to make the change. It was what I call a “do it scared” moment when I decided to quit my retail job on November 9th and never look back. I took the rest of the year off to recover, relax and enjoy my first holiday season as a “civilian” in decades. I knew that I wanted to play to my strengths of coaching and developing people for my next role which is how I found my recruiting job. After just a couple months, I knew that this job would be the launching pad for my own dream role of being a full-time career coach! I wanted to help people make the same type of transition I made; it can be both overwhelming and disheartening at times but it CAN be done!
4. What advice would you have given your younger self? Or what is the best career advice you have ever received? I believe that your mindset is what helps to shape your success. It’s one of the reasons that I include sessions on mindset in my coaching packages. I tried unsuccessfully to change careers for years and I now realize that the reason it wasn’t working was because I didn’t truly believe I was capable or worthy of any other job. My mantra came from one of my favorite authors/bloggers Ruth Soukup. She crafted the “Do It Scared Manifesto” in which she says “courage doesn’t mean that I’m never afraid, but that courage is taking action despite my fear.” I’ve lived by that as well as the quote from George Eliot “It’s never too late to be who you might have been.”
5. In 5 years, where do you hope to be professionally and personally In the next five years, I will be coaching full-time. My goal is to have a full program complete with courses, trainings and tools in addition to one-on-one coaching. I love helping people reach their goals and dreams; it is truly what lights me up and fills my soul! Personally, I want to have the freedom to travel as well as spend more time with my beautiful nieces.
Stay connected with Melissa!